Marking the Difference
NOREF – NoReflection blocks
New Concept for Berthing Structures
Vertical mooring structures or retaining walls, reflect wave energy and always worsen wave conditions in the surrounding areas.
From the experience and knowledge acquired over more than 40 years of activity, CONSULMAR investigated, using the most modern means of mathematical modelling, a new constructive process that substantially reduces the reflection of energy.
The NOREF blocks and structures are the result of such research and have already been patented:
– National Brand No. 364 163, NOREF, Class 19
– International Brand No. 792 037, NOREF, Class 19
Advantages of NOREF blocks
- Reduction of the wave reflexion coefficient between 50% and 70% of the traditional values of the vertical structures;
- Conventional and simple construction processes, either for the individual blocks, and for their assembly;
- Competitive cost when compared with other structures of simple or reinforced concrete with similar functions and dimensions;
- Better stability conditions when compared with other gravity structures of precast blocks;
- Wide possibility of application for mooring or other structures.
Types of Application
- Retaining Walls
|Terminal Multiusos do Porto de Leixões|
|Porto de Pesca da Afurada|
|Núcleo de Recreio do Porto das Velas, S. Jorge, Açores|
CONSULMAR led studies and projects for the installation of a central wave energy technology (oscillating water column) in the new North Wharf the mouth of the Douro.
Also collaborated with the Finnish company AW Energy in the study and design of a prototype (study of energy resource and project structure for installation) concept WaveRoller, installed off Peniche.
In 1989, for the project of Sines’ West Breakwater, Consulmar was awarded the “Honour Award for Engineering Excellence” prize by the American Consulting Engineers Council.
In 2006, the Project of Portimão Marina, developed by Consulmar was internationally recognized with the “Jack Nicholson Design Award”.
In 2009, the North Jetty of Barra do Douro Project, developed by Consulmar, won the “Prémio Secil Engenharia” (SECIL Engineering Award)
|“Honor Award for Engineering Excellence”||Prémio Secil da Engenharia 2009|